Madrid is situated in Spain, it is a famous city of Centre .
Madrid is the capital of Spain. Portugal and Spain together are called Iberian Peninsula. The city is located in the middle of the country. The winters can be very cold and the summers very hot.
Madrid has been occupied since prehistoric times, many objects have been found along the Riverbanks of the Manzanares. Many of those items can be seen at the National Archaeological Museum.
Madrid has been influenced by several different populations like the Iberian, Roman, Jewish and Morish. It is found in the architecture which is left.
Madrid bursts of culture. The bullfighting is very popular. Famous museums with world famous paintings. It is also the city of poets and thinkers. The many squares in the city are a favourite place to sit down for a chat, drink, conversation or have something to eat. To visit a literary café is a must.
- the Royal Palace is one of the famous attractions. It was the residence of several Kings in the past, nowadays it is open for visitors.
- Prado Museum one of the most famous musea in the world with an amazing collection of famous paintings.
- Thyssen Bornemisza Museum contains many paintings from the private collection of the family Thyssen Bornemisza, it has works in it’s collection from the 13th century till the 20st century with the famous Pop Art.
- Centro de Arte Reina Sofía Museum is famous for it’s modern art.
- Plaza de Torres de las Ventas is the bullfightring in the city.
- Los Jardines del Buen Retiro (Gardens of the Pleasant Retreat) a beautiful park in the urban heart.
- Flamengo show The traditional Spanish dance is absolutely worth to see.
- Teléferico Madrid the cable car gives a 2,5 km ride in the sky to overview the city.
- If your lucky you can enjoy one of the many events in the city.
Breakfast is mostly not eaten at home, many Spaniards take off from the office to have a quick breakfast in a café and eat a ‘croissant’ or ‘cake’ with a cup of coffee.
Lunch is taken after 13.30 till around 15.00-15.30. A good choice is to take the menu of the day ‘Menú del día’. You can get a cheap lunch for a fixed price of about 7 á 8 Euro, which exists out of several choices of first and second courses with a drink, bread, desert or coffee.
Dinner starts after 20.00, most of the restaurants won’t open their doors before 21.00.
Some typical Spanish foods/drinks are:
– Tapas, little portions of olives, chorizo sausage, calamari, croquettes, cheese and many more, don’t miss it.
– Churros with a cup of hot chocolate ( a kind of cookie which you dip in your chocolate milk)
– Sangria (red wine flavoured with orange, lemon and other ingredients)
– Jamon (smoked ham)
– Paella (rice with safran, vegetables, chicken and many different seafruits)
Botin restaurant is the oldest restaurant in the world and founded in the XVI century, it’s famous about the excellent dishes ; cochinillo asado (roast suckling pig) and cordero asado (roast lamb).
The restaurant is located at: Calle Cuchilleros, 17 Madrid, Tel. 913664217, Metro: La Latina
La Tapería de la Abuela Teresa (tapas of grandmother) is famous for its tapas, it has a beautiful terrace and is located at: Calle del Conde 4, Madrid, Spain (Centro)
By Plane: Madrid Barajas International Airport.
Train: Atocha Railwaystation is the main station in the south of the centre of Madrid. The airport is reachable by train. Chamartin is the other railwaystation it is smaller and located more in the north of Madrid.
Car rental: Many companies are represented in Madrid.
– EMT Buses: Has a good network over Madrid and also connects the airport. The buses run from 6.00 am till 11.30 pm
– Metro: The metro has a good network also the airport is good reachable by metro.
It runs every day from 6.00 am till 01.30 am. The entrances are marked with ‘M’.
– Taxis: run 24 hours a day.
– Tourist bus: goes to most touristic spots.
– Cable car: runs between Pintor Rosales Avenue to the Casa de Campo park and is an original way to roam around the city.
Tourists passes for public transport are available.
Drink a glass of sangria on a terrace, with some tapas. Enjoy the nightlife, the many museums and the excellent food.